01322 386831 mail@brenwards.com

What is carbon monoxide?

It is a poisonous gas that you can’t smell, taste, or see.

Carbon monoxide can be produced by any combustion appliance including those that burn fossil fuels (oil, wood and coal).

What are the symptoms to look out for?

  • Headaches or dizziness
  • Breathlessness
  • Nausea
  • Loss of consciousness
  • Tiredness
  • Pains in the chest or stomach
  • Erratic behaviour
  • Visual problems

If you think someone in your family might have carbon monoxide poisoning, get in touch with your doctor immediately.

What are the signs to look out for with my appliance?

  • Yellow or orange rather than blue flames (except fuel effect fires or flueless appliances which display this colour flame).
  • Soot or yellow/brown staining around or on appliances.
  • Pilot lights that frequently blow out.
  • Increased condensation inside windows.

What should you do if you think you have a carbon monoxide leak?

  • Immediately Call the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999.
  • Switch of the appliance and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve.
  • Open all doors and windows to ventilate the room.
  • Visit your GP and tell him/her that you believe you may have been exposed to carbon monoxide.